Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Couponing. The new trend

I am trendy. Not in the fashion sense as anyone who knows me will tell you. I don't have too many clothes because having my boys looking cute and trendy is more important to me. Anyway, like I was saying, I am trendy. Since I have returned back to work from maternity leave in September I have jumped on the couponing band waggon. I have noticed it's really a trend lately. A good trend though. I mean anything that saves you money in this economy is a good thing, right? With help from my IRL friend Carol at Coupon lovin mom I started to clip coupons and stack them with store coupons and match them with a sale. Since September I have literally saved hundreds of d0llars. I have scored A LOT of free stuff and even gotten free diapers. But the more I have started to coupon and follow diferent deal seaking blogs, I have noticed that some people aren't abiding by the rules. I'm not sure if it's an ethics issue or actually breaking the law. For instance, if there is an online printable coupon for something that you could get for free at say Rite Aid, how many of the coupon would you print of that? How many is too many? I have been known to print 2-3 of a coupon but there are some people who print 10-20 of a coupon. Is that fair? Especially since a lot of these prints are limited to a certain amount. Free is awesome but how far is taking it too far. Do you think it's fair to clean out a store so the rest of the shoppers can't take advantage of a sale too? I will use chapstick as an example since they had coupons in the sunday paper a month ago for $1 off and also a $2 off 2 and they were on sale for a $1 making it free chapstick. I had two papers so I got 6 chapsticks for free. Way more than I NEEDED so I gave some to my sister who was in need and put some in the diaper bag for the kids. But I have seen a couple of people actually "buy" at least 30 of them. Is that fair? I would be angry if I went to get my chapstick and found the lady ahead of me getting every single one of them. If there were a couple left and she took them all thats one thing, but if you clean out the last 30 or so that is completely wrong in my book and it also seems like coupon abuse. I have also noticed people using coupons for items not included in the coupon INTENTIONALLY. So tell me, is this an ethics issue or coupon fraud? How does it make you feel that there are people out there abusing the coupon system? It makes me very angry because they will ruin it for all of us honest couponers out there. I know this for a fact because Carol has already reported that VD's in Fenton, MI has stopped allowing coupons for coupon abuse and fraud. Just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are on this. I also wanted to make sure you be careful of whose footsteps you follow in because there is a lot of dirty couponing out there and I don't want to see you fined because someone was giving you bad advice.

No comments: