Thursday, July 9, 2009

Breastfeeding Toddler causes quite a stir...

Read this article and tell me what you think:
http://www.momlogic.com/2009/05/breastfeeding_toddler_ad.php?adid=breastfeeding_toddler_ad_sphere_momlogic

I don't understand how this is a problem at all. How is that any different than a toddler feeding her baby doll a toy bottle. Tristan has never had a drop of formula and only took between 8-12 Breast milk bottles a week (Until about 14 months when I stopped nursing him and he started whole milk out of a sippie). To him Breastfeeding is normal. So if he were to imitate feeding a doll, how is that offensive if he were to mimic breastfeeding? To him that's is how babies eat. If anything I think it teaches children that there is nothing sexual or wrong with breastfeeding. It is 100% natural and the way things have been done since the beginning of time. I don't understand how this is "sexualizing of children". Since when is breastfeeding sex or sexuality? This child isn't dressed sexually or exposing herself so how is this offensive. Should we be teaching our youth that breastfeeding is a naughty act? Why is there always such an uproar about breastfeeding? Why are people so offended when a woman breastfeeds in public even though she is covered up? These are things I don't understand about peoples opinions on breastfeeding. I always breastfed in the back of a car covered up because I wasn't strong enough to endure the comments and snickers from people walking by. I think there needs to be a change in mindset when it comes to breastfeeding. There is a reason mothers make milk after a child is born. I don't criticize people who choose not to but understand that this is the most natural thing and should not be looked at as sexual. Reading this article upset me and brings forth a lot of other issues regarding breastfeeding and I had to address it.

No comments: